Greek Quinoa and Avocado Salad
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained*
- 1 cup water
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ cup shredded fresh spinach
- ⅓ cup finely chopped red onion (1 small)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Spinach leaves
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, seeded, peeled, and sliced**
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
In a 1-1/2-quart saucepan combine quinoa and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
Transfer quinoa to a medium bowl. Add tomato, spinach, and onion; stir to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, oil, and salt. Add to quinoa mixture; toss to coat.
Place spinach leaves on 4 salad plates. Arrange avocado slices on spinach leaves. Spoon quinoa mixture over avocado slices. Sprinkle with some of the feta. Makes 4 main-dish servings.
*Rinse quinoa thoroughly before cooking to remove a bitter substance called saponin that coats the seeds.**Brush avocado slices with additional lemon juice to prevent browning.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
332 calories; fat 24g; cholesterol 11mg; saturated fat 5g; carbohydrates 27g; insoluble fiber 8g; protein 7g; vitamin a 2235.2IU; vitamin c 21.8mg; sodium 457mg; calcium 111.1mg; iron 3.2mg.
Leave a Comment